Monday, September 5, 2011

U.K. Day 4 - Houston Day 106

Caught the train up to Scotland yesterday.  It was pouring rain again so I was extra glad we had the good weather on Sunday.  Made me a bit nostalgic to take the train to Dad's, because that was the train I took every couple of weeks to visit him when I was studying at St Andrews.  We're going to try and visit St Andrews some time this week, which I'm sure is going to make me want to go back there.  They have a department called "Theology, Imagination and the Arts".  Doesn't that sound totally up my alley?
Is so nice to see Dad and Jill.  They have done lots of renovations on their house since I was here six years ago so it was really exciting to see that.  They took me out for dinner last night to the same restaurant where we'll be having dinner Saturday night after the ordination.  Lovely Spanish place, and we ordered a tableful of tapas, which we couldn't finish.  Just like that, after a year of not seeing them, and six years of not being here at their home with them, we're sitting down to dinner like nothing happened.  Makes me happy.
For those who have been asking how Jill's leg is after her accident a couple of years ago, she can't bend it more than about 100 degrees, she can't run, and she has arthritis in that knee, which will need a knee reconstruction at some point in the future.  She can drive now (she couldn't for a while).  Not fair that something like that can happen out of the blue, but given how worried we all were about her, fantastic how well she is and how much movement she has regained.  She was in rehab for about a year, and is really disciplined about working it out and strengthening the muscles according to how the physio taught her.  I so respect people who just take charge of bad situations like that and make it (and make themselves) the best it can possibly be.  Gives me some inspiration for my own situation...
By the way, I'm writing this at 5.37am.  I can't seem to sleep more than five hours a night since I got here, but it's no biggie coz I'm not really doing anything that requires too much energy! This is a lovely holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment