Thursday, March 29, 2012

Houston Day 312 - overshare, Estuary, bittersweet

Apologies if this is an overshare, but I spent a significant portion of yesterday morning on the bus on the way home from Hope Stone via a pharmacy, with a pregnancy test in my bag, ready to take when I got home.  Or rather, it was significant because so much was going on in my mind.  It was an interesting mental exercise in resigning myself to the possibility that my life could look very different from what it is now.  But it was negative, kids.  Don't buy your tickets planning to fly over and meet little Nikolay Buchanan yet.  (You know any child Lucas has will be named after a character in Russian literature, right?)
Have settled a little more into my current rhythm.  Am spending much more time at Hope Stone, taking class and chatting to people.  I'm also taking advantage of so much time to learn a new song and a new monologue for auditions.  The monologue is Tom Stoppard (of course), from a play called Dirty Linen in which a lowly British Parliamentary secretary is involved in a scandalous number of scandals.  In the monologue she names names - in fact, the monologue consists almost entirely of names of people and restaurants where she wooed them, almost in poetry.  It's really fun, and I'm learning an Estuary accent for it too (the kind of London accent that's halfway between the Queen and Eliza Doolittle; think Ricky Gervais).  I feel like I've begun to collect accents.
Lucas has been working hard all this week, preparing for a presentation to some company bigwigs this morning.  I got to see the presentation last night, and didn't understand most of it.  He's so sciencey and smart.  I gather that it went well, so that's good, and his boss let him come home early this afternoon, so he met me while I was wandering around Montrose and discovering a new coffee shop I like.
I'm at Hope Stone now, about to start teaching the teens, and tonight I'm going with Maggie, Shani and Bekah to see a play at Stages Repertory Theatre (who also invited me to audition for them this week.  I can't make the dates work, but it was a nice little ego-boost.)  Tomorrow is another day working at home, learning how to sound like the characters on The IT Crowd.  Then Leslie and her friend Rachel (who I'm really enjoying getting to know - maybe one of these days I could start calling her my friend) are coming over to glory in and enjoy our new Netflix subscription.
So all in all things are good.  Homesickness hit me for the first time in a while last night in response to an email from Sass about Walsh dinner.  Man I want to be at Walsh dinner.  But then I wouldn't be here at Hope Stone, or watching movies with Leslie and Rachel, or teaching Bekah how to sing.  There are too many good things in life.  You can't have all of them at once, and so you carry round this little bit of pain all the time, knowing that there are important people you'll never get enough time with.

3 comments:

  1. First off, Nikolay would be a great name in my opinion, and I would visit, sit with the child, sip on vodka (I'd let him sip on juice to participate... until he was older...), and read tragic, depressing Russian lit. to him in the best fake, bad Russian accent I can pull off.

    Second... well... 'first' was all I really had apparently. But, I am glad to hear that Lucas is impressing someone down there, be it you with his sciencey talk (He probably made up most of the bigger words, check him against a dictionary next time) or these so-called 'bigwigs.' Keep on being fantastic in Texas and let me know how the baking adventures go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do, Staplegun 07, although I'm not entirely sure who you are...I'm guessing (from the language, the reference to Texas being "down there" and the tone about Lucas, which managed to be both proud and disparaging at the same time), Brenton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup!!

      By the way, I love what you said at the end there: There are too many good things in life. You can't have all of them at once, and so you carry round this little bit of pain all the time, knowing that there are important people you'll never get enough time with.

      Delete