Friday, October 28, 2011

Houston Day 159 - it's my birthday, apparently

in the Miller dressing room
What a fun day.  We had a Tom & Huck show at the Miller Outdoor Theatre this morning, which is a beautiful big theatre kinda like the Sidney Myer Music Bowl.  And to be honest, the dressing rooms with the lights around the mirrors kinda made my morning.
The first genuinely cold day I've seen since we left Melbourne didn't keep too many people away, and we had a meet & greet with the audience afterwards, which swelled my ego nicely.  (You try being humble after crowds of adoring children look at you with those big shiny eyes and say they liked the show.)
Shemica and Alex backstage at Express
After unloading the set and bumping in for tomorrow's show back at Express headquarters, the cast and Sammie went out for lunch.  I think I'm a little bit in love with everyone.  We're working fairly well as a team (albeit with chronic lateness) and having lots of fun in between times.  At the restaurant Alex pulled what is apparently a regular trick of his and pretended it was my birthday so I got free dessert and the wait staff singing at me.  I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe.
Drums for our Music class at Hope Stone
It was nice to blow off some steam at lunch.  Also went shopping with Bekah yesterday on one of her rare days off, so that was nice too.  I feel like I'm working really hard and kind of just keeping it all together....I got home from Hope Stone last night, went up to Lucas and said "What's for dinner? I'm starving!" to which he replied, "Um, I don't know, I'm going out tonight.  Aaron's picking me up in fifteen minutes..." and my brain slowly ticked over...Lucas getting picked up by a friend...for an event I wasn't invited to...meant I was supposed to be busy somewhere else...crap, Sound of Music rehearsal, forty-five minutes away!  But we're at the stage of rehearsal where we're starting to run large chunks of the show, and they didn't get to anything I was in til after I was there, so no-one minded too much that I slipped in half an hour late.  BTW, I just found out I'm understudying Sister Margaretta, which is cool.  But it does mean yet more material to learn, with Tom & Huck still not completely under my belt and Rudolph starting next week....But what am I complaining about.  I love it.  I mean, I hate learning lines, but I love having so much to do.  And I think freelancing suits me well coz I get bored easily.  At last, feeling a little bit more like I belong here.  And the "no day but today" mantra is still reminding me to enjoy each day without having large existential crises all the time and some giant standard of what my life is supposed to be like looming over my head.
I've taken some more photos so you can get some more visual ideas about what my life looks like here! Click this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment