Sunday, October 16, 2011

Houston Day 147 - "No day but today"

Last night we went to see Idina Menzel perform with the Houston Symphony.  It was at Jones Hall, the Symphony's concert hall, which is an amazing, impressive venue.  So impressive vertically that we exhausted ourselves walking up about eight flights of stairs to get to our seats in the balcony.
The first half (much shorter than a half, really) was dedicated to the orchestra, and they did four pieces - "Baba Yaga", "Funky Chicken", "Javelin" (written for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra for the 96 Atlanta Olympics) and "Ride of the Valkyries". I really enjoy orchestral music, and I think we're definitely going to go back to see them! They do a lot of pops stuff as well as classical repertoire.  In a few weeks they're screening The Matrix while they play the soundtrack live.
Idina came out after interval, in a stunning dress, and bare feet.  She sang songs from Glee, and Rent, and Wicked, and The Wild Party, as well as other shows she hasn't been in, and just other random songs she likes, and did lots of patter in between.  Gosh, it must take a lot of self-confidence to just talk and tell stories to thousands of people who've paid at least $50 a pop and not stop halfway through to go, "why the hell am I still talking? I'm sure no one cares".  But she was really funny, and her stories were really interesting.  She also sang some of the songs she and her husband make up to sing to their little son.....backed by this eighty-piece orchestra!
Two of her songs were the highlights of the night for me.  She sang "No Day But Today" from Rent, and later on did "Tomorrow" from Annie as an encore.  I never thought that song from Annie could make me cry, but think about an adult person offering it as a song of hope when she knows that hope is often desperately needed....
"When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say,
The sun'll come out tomorrow..."
It was simple, and beautiful.
"No Day But Today" really struck a chord with me as well.  I seriously spend a lot of my time worrying about what I will regret in the future.  At the moment I'm stuck in this angst about my career: what if I never make it? what does making it even mean? when will I be satisfied? what if we have kids and I have to sacrifice my career to them? what if we don't have kids and I regret that? And yet, whilst you can do some things in terms of choices and education (and birth control!), you really can't control your destiny.  The guy who wrote that song died the day before the show opened.  One day he was there, so excited to be working on his first professional show, and the next day he wasn't and the team had to put the show on without him, and his death in a way became a part of the story.  He was in his thirties and no one saw it coming.
So many people who have satisfying, meaningful careers, including my own parents, and a guy named Lafayette who I met at the Opera this week, couldn't have planned them that way from the start.  So many people who have satisfying careers, including Idina Menzel, have times of unemployment and despair and self-doubt.  Since the concert I've had "No day but today" ringing in my head, and I want to let go of the future and the past and live in the now, because I suspect that is what will be most fulfilling.  If today is my only day, I am filling it with art and people.  Hold me to this challenge, please.
Check out the youtube link below if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment