Monday, April 29, 2013

Houston Day 709 - Hope Stone tech week Day 2!

Almost 3pm.  Lying on the couch, feeling terribly tired, watching The West Wing (was CJ the leak about the military space shuttle? We'll probably find out in an episode or two! God bless Netflix).  6.15am call time this morning, and a long drive to Cuero, TX, which is a beautiful little town.  This afternoon we have Day 2 of Hope Stone tech week.
I've been struggling with motivation for teaching recently.  Bekah very wisely suggested that it's because I've been working a lot this year so I'm pretty tired (Exhibit A, above), not necessarily because I'm doing a bad job or because I don't belong there.
Anyway, this afternoon I'm contemplating what it means to be going this tech rehearsal.  (I do that.  I'm big on symbolism and I can't do most things without having a sense of what it means.)  So...It means I'm telling these kids that I believe in them, that I treasure their stories and their work (not only in this circle, but also in your life, hey?).  It means I'm telling the Hope Stone community that I belong there.  It means I'm telling Jane that I believe in her vision of "art for all".  Scariest of all, it means I'm telling myself that I believe in my own creativity.  So let's get our ass off the couch, Amy, and go help some kids make art.

No comments:

Post a Comment