Monday, August 29, 2011

Houston Day 99 - a weekend trip to Boise

This weekend just past we went up to Boise, Idaho to visit Lucas' family.  His youngest brother Brenton is moving to Seattle next week to do his Masters in Japanese Studies so we wanted to catch him before he left.  It was a really good weekend catching up with friends and family.  And not just in a "they're Lucas' friends and now my family so I have to pretend to be having a good time" kind of way.  It was really really lovely.
We got there late Friday night and were met at the airport by Lucas' dad Mark, his brothers Scott and Brenton, and Brenton's girlfriend Erica, who I'd never met before.  Saturday morning we went out for breakfast with Brenton and Erica, and Saturday afternoon was dedicated to some dear old friends of Lucas', who I think very graciously let me call them my friends too! When Lucas was in high school and college, his best friends were Dave, Carol and Nate.  Nate lives in L.A. now so we didn't get to see him this weekend, but Dave and his wife Shannon and Carol came over.  Shannon and Carol took me out for a girls' afternoon, which was so nice.  One of the - well, not problems, but less than desirable experiences we had anticipated was that as we're still building up our friendships here we get a little sick of hanging out with just each other most of the time.  So an afternoon with the girls was just what the doctor ordered! We had some great chats while we wandered around the old Boise penitentiary and gardens and then when out for a drink.
In the evening all the aforementioned people plus a few more friends - Manuel, Sally and their son Jordan - had a BBQ at Mark's place.  Sunday morning was breakfast with Mark and Scott at the diner where Brenton works, then round to Lucas' mom Robin's place to catch up with her.  It's nice to know I have another mum here when I'm missing mine so much! She even went out of her way to find a place that sells Tim Tams :).
Something else that was really nice to hear was that so many people mentioned that they've been reading this blog! Robin is one of those, and so she knows I've been getting into yoga, and gave me a yoga magazine to read on the plane home.
And to cap the weekend off, we arrived home late Sunday night and were reminded of the last time we came in to Houston on a plane...i.e., nearly 100 days ago.  That time we were exhausted, and a bit numb but also a bit terrified, and everything was unfamiliar and unattractive.  This time, I drove home, and I knew where I was going (mostly), and I have things to look forward to (I can't wait til Hope Stone starts after I get back from the U.K.).  It was a little reminder of how much we've settled in so far, and made us look forward to more to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment