Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Houston Day 87 - Great news!!!

Maybe, slowly, I am meeting the right people and setting up a life.  Last night Lucas and I went to "Grown Up Story Time" which is held at a pub and run by a theatre company called Boo Town.  They seem wacky, and all the right things.  I can't get involved in their next show because of my trip to the UK but I'm going to be a reader at the next Story Time night.
This morning I went to a dance class at Hope Stone.  Did I tell you about Hope Stone already? I left my first class there thinking, "I wonder if I've just found the people who will become my community".  They run internship programs where you work there, unpaid, in return for free classes.  One of the programs they run is a youth theatre, which looks so similar to Fresh, where I worked in Melbourne 2006-2008.  It's all about the teachers using creative arts to facilitate the young people's personal growth, and healing, and storytelling, and helping the young people find their place as socially conscious, expressive members of society.  The staff help turn the kids' ideas into a production.  I sent an email to them earlier this week saying PLEASE let me get involved, and Jane, the director of Hope Stone, spoke to me after class today saying that that's exactly what they plan to do! They've been looking for another person for the youth theatre!!!!    .....!!!!!!
Something else that's going on is that I'm looking into yoga as a spiritual practice.  I borrowed a couple of books about it from the local library and I'm learning more about it.  One of the books is more of a history and overview, and the other one is a more practical book with exercises, written for westerners.  Today's task was to set an intention for practicing yoga ("I will practice yoga because....") that is specific, and has a long-term effect and a positive impact on other people.  Then I am to set it aside and not consciously think about it for a week.  That second part is about learning to contemplate things without having to decide about them or act on them straight away - I think I could definitely use that skill.  So, as practice, yesterday, after I contacted two voice-over coaches, I put it away and I will decide later which one to enroll with.

No comments:

Post a Comment