Monday, October 14, 2013

Upcoming Theatre funness

My darling sister asked me for the backstory of all my theatre bits and pieces at the moment, so here it is, with much love.

  • Blithe Spirit is being put on by Texas Repertory Theatre, where earlier this year I was in Company.  I didn't audition for this one, but got a call to be in it after someone else dropped out.  Which meant that I joined them a week into the process, without having seen a script in advance.  I didn't fully realise I had an actor's *process* until I was in a show that didn't give me the time to go through it.  But I'm having a lot of fun, and it will be a hoot, and we open this week.  Best line: "Servants are awful, aren't they?"
  • The War of the Worlds is another opportunity that was handed to me on a platter by the company's Artistic Director, or rather handed to me over drinks at Onion Creek.  This one is with Stark Naked Theatre, of Macbeth fame.  One rehearsal, one performance, and you better hope I get all that text out in the right accent.  
  • Last year when our friends from Melbourne Joel and Heidi were travelling around the world, they came to visit us by way of [somewhere on the east coast], where they saw The God Box, by Antonia Lassar.  When Antonia announced her tour this year, Joel messaged me and suggested we bring her out here to Houston.  So we are.  
  • Into the Woods I did audition for.  I am playing Cinderella's Stepmother and Jack's Mother! Andrew Ruthven, who directed Magic School Bus and was in Company with me, invited me to audition, very kindly gave me the low-down as to why I was called back for two roles that on first glance seem impossible to double and for which I am rather young, and then cast me.  We start rehearsal just before Christmas and open in January.
So there 'tis! I am so happy that I'm a part of the Houston theatre community.

No comments:

Post a Comment