Thursday, October 31, 2013

I dream of great theatre on a rainy Thursday morning...

So (by the end of October) fall is finally solidly here.  It's been hinting at coming round for about a month, but now it's lovely and stormy, rainy and grey, and when it's not, there's a beautiful light in the sky in the evenings.  Fall in Houston is something special.  You really feel like you've earned it, with about five months of relentless tropical summer behind you.
Last night as a Halloween special Stark Naked Theatre put on a reading of The War of the Worlds, on the 75th anniversary of its original broadcast by Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air.  I had such a blast.  It was a good challenge for me, being huge slabs of text I had to speak in an American accent, and I think I did it justice.  I also just had heaps of fun.  It was a pretty full house, and you could feel the audience hanging on the story.  The other four actors and I did our best to bring the play to life, and one of the best things about the way Philip had set it up was that we got to sit on stage and watch the whole thing when we weren't speaking.  A really fun night, an excellent play.
And it's only a week until the wonderful Antonia Lassar comes to town! Joel and Heidi (friends from Stone Soup in Melbourne) saw her show The God Box somewhere on the east coast when they were travelling the world last year and encouraged me to bring her out here to Houston when she announced her national living-room tour.  So we are! There's a show at our pastor Jenni's house on Sat 9th, a show at Zeteo on Sat 10th and a show at our house on the 12th.  I'm super excited to meet her in person and turn my lounge room into a theatre space! You can see a trailer of the show here and if you're in Houston. check out our event page on the Zeteo website and text me for my address.