Saturday, November 26, 2011

Houston Day 188 - backstage at Sound of Music

I'm in the nunnery (the female chorus dressing room) sitting on the floor against the mirror.  Three nuns are watching tv shows on their laptops, one is underlining something in a book, another appears to be getting computer advice from a younger postulant, one is skyping her husband, one is fixing her hair, another is reading, and the last is searching through her stuff for something.  And I just skyped Jenn & Drew in Australia! Yay, thanks guys.
Janet leaves tomorrow.  It's been so lovely having her here.  Australia feels closer than it used to.  I'm feeling remarkably well-adjusted and at home at the moment - I think if Janet had come a few months ago it would have been a very different story.  I have enough to do that challenges and stimulates and fulfills me, and a variety of friends - it's not the same as in Melbourne - of course you don't build the depth and breadth of friendship in six months that you do in seven and a half years - but I'm so enjoying getting to know everyone here.  And I accept that Houston's not the world's most liveable city, or even in the top three or wherever Melbourne is, but it's got things that Melbourne doesn't, and above all I'm willing to forgive its shortcomings because I feel at home here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment