Thursday, November 10, 2011

Houston Day 172 - Lucas' birthday!

At Hope Stone again.  It provides a lovely rhythm to my week.  Before the teens get in I check in the very little kids for their class, and today when I got here the professional company was rehearsing, so I got to watch that too.  I treasure this hour every week, of quiet community in a creative space.  I feel so welcome, even though I'm only just getting to know everyone here.
Lucas is 30 today! ...which also means that it's been exactly a year since he got the job offer.  I remember it so clearly - I used to have four-hour breaks between teaching shifts in Cranbourne, and he called me and sang "America" from West Side Story to break the news.  Then he took the day off work, drove to Cranbourne, and we stared at each other in shock for a few hours.  I think we can say it's been a successful year since then.  It was definitely hard to go....a friend of mine was prepping a show about new beginnings and asked me for some thoughts for stimulus material for her dancers, and I wrote something like
Before I can go
I must first leave
And pray that it is worth it
Worth it? Hard to say so far.  I think so.  Even the depressing bit, when I was unemployed and bored and cried a lot for a few months, has I think passed, and had its lessons, etc., etc., etc.
Today is a very busy day for me, so while Lucas will be enjoying dinner with twelve new friends at a gorgeous restaurant near our place tonight, I will be at rehearsal.  But we celebrated last night - we went to a Peruvian restaurant together.  It was in a kind of industrial, unattractive area of town, which really showed me a way that I've changed that I dislike...I was getting inwardly critical of the place just because of the area, when in Melbourne the coolest restaurants are amazing gems of beauty and class behind a dingy alleyway front (think Panama Dining Room, or just about anywhere on Smith St).
Oop, gotta go & start drumming with the teens.  See y'all later.  (Yep, that's something I say now :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment