Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Houston Day 66

Yesterday morning I had to skip the first class of the day at the dance studio to take the car (her name is Matilda) to the mechanic.  Turns out all those warning lights were because I didn't screw the fuel cap on tightly enough.
Made it in to the studio for the rest of the day.  It's the last week of the Intensive and a smaller group this week, so we're all in together and not split up into different groups like all the previous weeks have been.  We had Modern with a teacher I hadn't had before, Janette, then Tap with Stephanie from the Dance Circle.  That was an insane class - in a good way.  Very challenging.  I love tap, especially with my new shoes that actually let me do toe stands.  Then we were supposed to have Improv with Sherese but she could see we were exhausted from Tap so we just hung out and talked about dangerous animals (Stephanie has a pet snake, so I think that was the starting point for that conversation).  I got to drive home, which was nicer and shorter than catching the bus which is what happens when Lucas doesn't carpool with Maggie or Christine (another new Exxon employee who lives in the Heights).
Then I had an audition for Masquerade Theatre, one of the best musical theatre companies in town.  I totally messed it up.  It was like my body betrayed me, and I was shaking and cracking all over the place.  Lucas and I went out for dinner at a restaurant in the Heights (we've got a list of recommendations from our landlords we're working our way through) but we made a pretty speedy exit coz I started crying.  The audition process can really get you down.
Slept pretty badly last night (still feeling stressed out) so I slept in and missed this morning's classes.  I've got a doctor's appointment soon to address my achillles injury, and maybe I'll make it in to the studio after that.  Then it's head down, bum up, and lots more audition prep so I can feel a little more in control at my next audition, which is next week.  There is at best a miniscule chance that I will get in to this one, and that's even if I don't screw it up.  It's the best company in Houston.  They've already cast all the leads, and they're also auditioning in LA and New York.  Sigh.  Still, every audition is a learning experience, so I'll go and see if I can't manage my nerves better.  Any tips on how to deal with nerves are appreciated :) Are you supposed to jump up and down and walk around to consume all that excess adrenaline, or are you supposed to be still and breathing and meditative so you don't create more adrenaline?

No comments:

Post a Comment