Monday, June 6, 2011

Houston Day 15 - At last, I get to do things

Hooray! Yesterday I had my first Houston audition, and today I started at dance school here.  The audition was mostly good.  No one's called yet though :( ...although it is barely 24 hours since auditions finished.  It's a relief to have it over and not have preparation hanging over my head all the time.
Dance school was great (I even drove there by myself).  Started off with ballet with someone who used to dance with the Houston Ballet.  She was the first African-American ballerina ever to dance in a principal role.  She's pretty harsh as a teacher (I guess you don't get her credentials without a certain amount of steely toughness), but I'm getting better at this whole mental game of performing arts.  I'm able to just focus on becoming a better performer without taking anything a teacher says personally, no matter how personal the language is that they use.  Then there was a modern class (pretty similar to what I have danced and called contemporary....maybe just a continental thing about what term is used?), and after lunch had hip hop.  I usually find hip hop pretty fun.  I just love the attitude, and coz I know it's pretty unlikely hip hop is going to form any part of my career, I just have fun with it.  We finished off the day with half an hour of improv work in partners.  My partner was really cool and we had fun together.  It was a really good day! I'm older than most of the other students, but it didn't bother me too much today.  Hopefully I'll still make some friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment