Friday, January 25, 2013

Houston Day 615 - Australia Day

Happy Australia Day/Happy Survival Day! Like everyone's favorite Aussie, I still call Australia home.  (What's that? ... You mean Peter Allen has not always been our historically-and-still-sometimes-very-homophobic-nation's favorite ambassador? Well, strike a light.)

I do still call Australia home, and the homesickness levels have been pretty high after returning home from our trip home.  Yes, my emotions are exactly as confused as that sounds.  Being in rehearsal this week has definitely helped.  My brain is totally fried after only three days of learning new choreography for Magic School Bus.  We ran my solo number toward the end of rehearsal today and one of the runs involved me doing the cute hip-shimmy choreography, opening my mouth to sing and then just laughing my head off because my brain froze up and couldn't remember the words.  I've been wondering why I'm so mentally tired and realising that while the aforementioned homesickness is probably not helping, part of it is not having done a musical for six months.  The director made a comment today about me being a musical theatre actress (as opposed to a straight theatre actress) and my consequent supposed ability to speak dialogue and dance at the same time....we'll see, Andrew.  We'll see.

After rehearsal I treated myself to some sweetened condensed milk and a read of A Year of Biblical Womanhood, which I'm reading for the Zeteo book club.  Brilliant book.  In particular, it has reclaimed Proverbs 31 for me into something I can read without feeling guilty or unwomanly.  Check out her blog where she touches on it here.  And then tonight I am cooking and cleaning the car and packing for my road trip to Kilgore, TX, where there's a whole lot of nothing, but an excellent Shakespeare Festival.  I think they should employ me, and I'm going to do my darnedest to convince them of that in my audition.

No comments:

Post a Comment