Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Houston Day 477 - a list!




I'm reading The Happiness Project, lent to me by Ashley.  The woman who wrote the book is a list-maker almost to the point of making me suspect she has OCD.  Her lists often have really fun titles, like "Splendid Truths" and "Secrets of Adulthood", which reminded me of Janet's habit of creating mental lists titled "These Things I Know to Be True", and inspired me to write my own list today.  (It also reminded me of when I shared a flat with my friend Jana and I posted on the cupboard a list of "Small Things that Make Amy Happy".  This had the lovely results of Jana knowing how to cheer me up and people giving me small thoughtful gifts!)  Some of these items are things I have discovered myself, some of them are things repeated to me by my parents or friends I look up to.  One of them was the best piece of practical advice someone gave me about making life in Houston comfortable...can you guess which one?


"Advice Amy Attempts to Live By"


If it is not a finite resource, don't treat it as one.

Suspend your judgement.

Do not buy or accept for free clothes that do not fit perfectly.

Advice is sought much less often than it is given.

Money changes situations and people.

If you understand how the public transport system works, you can own the city.

Always carry a sweater in your handbag.

Most people are doing the best they can most of the time.

If you're someone's guest, you don't have the right to complain about how they do things.

Look behind you when you leave.

If it's mine, it's yours.


"No day but today."

Anything is possible.



What do you think? What advice you do attempt to live by?

No comments:

Post a Comment