Sunday, January 8, 2012

Houston Day 231 - easy like Sunday morning (yeah yeah yeah)

A couple of Houston friends very kindly suggested that they were happy not to hear from me this weekend and that it was more important to rest up and hang out with Lucas.  And rest we have.  Yesterday we slept in, had a quiet breakfast at home and then set out on Home Office Day.  We achieved the biggest task, which was to establish a new filing system for all our household papers so that my desk doesn't become a space for general household clutter.  With a little bit more work tomorrow I shall have a functional and fun place to work.  The other challenge is to train myself to stop thinking about work when I'm not "at work".  Lucas will often ask me what I'm thinking while we're snuggling together and the answer is often something like "I'm just trying to figure out what to sing at the Annie audition" or "I'm worried about my headshots" or "I'm nervous about x y or z..." I need to learn to compartmentalise my life just a little more so that my whole life isn't about my work.  Although bringing my work into the rest of my life has the humourous consequence of Lucas becoming my stage mum - my career is such a shared project.  "Have we done singing practice in the last few days?" "Have we learnt to prepare a little more for auditions next time?" "Doesn't someone need to go over her lines this evening?"
Speaking of headshots, the session went really well on Friday and I have some great shots.  It was all very America's Next Top Model, with the makeup artist coming in between shots to fix my hair.  At certain points I felt like it was just about an excellent photographer showing off the work of an excellent hair & makeup artist and while it all happened to be centred around my body, I didn't need to do much.  That was quite relaxing, actually.  Because there is a certain amount of just being a body as an actor - you wear someone else's creativity on your body, and you got the gig because you happen to have the right body for it.  The photographer knew the kinds of looks I was going for, so I just entrusted myself to her direction.
Here are a couple of my favourite shots.  If you like her work you can check out clairemcadamsphotography.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment