Friday, August 9, 2013

Houston Day 812 (Australia Day 10) - dance of the after-school performing arts

Mum & Luke at the College Winter Showcase
It seems my entire family live in a whirl of extracurricular performing arts programs.  Not just my nieces and nephews, who take such courses (Luke, my oldest nephew, is obsessed with theatre atm - YES!), but my sisters, who teach them.



Dad & my niece Emma at Showcase
Yesterday I spent some of the day visiting my old school, where Sarah is Head of Music, helping out with her VCE Music class and the Middle School musical rehearsal.  Her work environment is busy, beautiful, and never-ceasing.  I don't quite know how she does it, but she was obviously born into this job.  Toward the end of the school day I visited Ballarat North Primary to watch my 7yo niece Imogen's class perform a piece about dinosaurs in their school assembly.  Her job was the make the brachiosaurus prop eat the tree prop.  She was very proud and did it perfectly.  I also went to watch her after-school swimming class, and hung out with my dad, who happens to be visiting Australia at the same time as I am.  If you were to check in with any of us around three-thirty, you would have observed us performing the following intricate dance:
  • Mum's track: leave Imogen's assembly and go home.
  • Dad's track: leave Imogen's assembly with Imogen and her brother Paddy and take them to their house for afternoon tea.
  • Claire's track: leave Imogen's assembly, check in with her kids about heading home with Dad, then go to meet her piano students, who had their exams.
  • My track: leave Imogen's assembly, wait outside Imogen's school for Sarah and head to the College Middle School musical rehearsal.
  • Emma's beautiful ballet feet
  • Sarah's track (by far the most complicated, as always): leave her own school, pick me up from Imogen's school, pick her own kids up from their school, and take us all back to College for Middle School musical rehearsal.
Then the rehearsal finished and Sarah looked at me blankly, saying "All day I was just aiming to get us all to this point.  I have no idea what happens next." and then we headed to Claire's.

Today I get to watch 7yo Emma's ballet class and tonight I go see Claire playing trumpet for the Ballarat Academy of Performing Arts' production of 42nd Street.  I am having a lovely time.