Thursday, November 22, 2012

Houston Day 542 - Obligatory Thanksgiving Post


Random Thoughts on the Thanksgiving Day Parade:

  • The Rockettes: the missing link between the Ziegfeld Follies and cheerleading.
  • NYC parade: spectators in coats and gloves and scarves and warm hats.  Houston parade: people in jeans and t-shirts.
  • There were two Australians in the parade! Anthony Warlow (playing Daddy Warbucks on Broadway right now): you have my undying love and admiration forever.  You are what is good about musical theatre.  Cody Simpson: you're alright too.  Your blond, surfer-derived image reminds me of home.
  • I love a good celebration, but I sometimes think that celebrations are less special when this country is so goddamn affluent.  And so over-the-top! Fake snow to end the parade?Weird.  It's a far cry from saving up for a special feast because that's the only decent meal you've eaten all year.  I still sit so uncomfortably with that and I am still figuring out what to do about my feeling that we just have far too much money.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to moving into my Simplify Challenge tomorrow. 
  • I think I just saw a character who looks like a weird Santa-Jesus-Pilgrim hybrid.

Thinks I'm Thankful For (Random Sample):

  • My family and going home for Christmas! Four weeks, y'all!
  • My adopted family, the Nickerbekahs, with whom we are eating Thanksgiving dinner.
  • That Lucas and I come up with fun hybrid names for couples.
P.S. : The National Dog Show on TV after the parade.  Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment