Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Houston Day 541 - The Player's Sonnet


I have been reading tons of Shakespeare recently to prepare for some upcoming auditions, to the point where I'm beginning to think in iambic pentameter.  The following is my attempt at writing in Shakespearean style (and continuing to process what the hell it is I do).  I began it when I was having a working/drinking/reading lunch at Onion Creek Cafe and finished it tonight with John Denver on the sound system and Lucas baking pumpkin pie in the kitchen.  Happy Thanksgiving all, and especially to my Houston community of artists.


The Player’s Sonnet

The same way I can look at that cursed table,
And see not just a panel of blank faces
But my true love, or hate; so I am able
To see them in a made-up world of spaces.
I play to them my piece, to achieve my aim,
And in that same way I will play my life.
I will traverse the highs and lows of fame,
(And somehow manage still to be a wife).
Just as I fancy, I will land each role
Then play it, then let it go; but what will stay
Is my integrity, my joy, my soul,
My willingness to play another day.
This piece is hard and sometimes unforgiving;
But I am a player; so I play my living.

No comments:

Post a Comment