Monday, May 23, 2011

Houston: first full day

So we arrived last night and pretty much just crashed.  It felt really bizarre.  I was feeling kind of sad and lonely, and woke up scared and depressed at 3.45am.  Good thing I brought that packet of double coat Tim Tams with me for comfort food.  That, a cuddle with Lucas and a couple of episodes of The Twilight Zone (happened to be on TV) cheered me up.  One of my bags is still stuck at LAX so that's a cause for worry.  When you don't have a mobile phone and you're living in a new apartment complex that you don't know how to tell visitors how to get inside, it's kind of strange.
But today is exciting.  We found a fun strip of shops and restaurants on Gray St and had breakfast/lunch at "Ferrago".  Good place! Loving American service culture.  I never saw the bottom of my water glass.  Also the meal wasn't terrifyingly large as I had feared.  A hamburgery/sandwichy thing and a salad, both quite reasonably sized and yummy!
So we have an apartment and a car, both only for six weeks while we find something more permanent.  We've done a little bit of walking around (which no one does, really - kind of understandably as it is REALLY hot outside).  Tomorrow we're meeting with a relocation consultant who among other things is getting me a cell phone, possibly having dinner with Maggie and her husband Scott.  Wednesday I have a cardio dance class thing at the gym in the apartment complex.  So we have things to do! Hurrah! First day I think we can count as a victory!

1 comment:

  1. hurray! Sounds fun and adventurous and a bit scary and exciting. Hope jet lag isn't too bad. :)

    ReplyDelete