Saturday, July 6, 2013

Houston Day 777 - a quiet Saturday

It's a quiet Saturday morning here.  Lucas is still asleep.  The many birds who visit our backyard are singing.  Tell you what, I never really cared about backyards until I moved into this house and now I don't think I could live without one! I also didn't care much for animals growing up but Lucas is showing me the joy of noticing interesting birds and lizards and raccoons and squirrels as they visit our yard (and dig up our plants).
I have been very diligent the past two weeks since Macbeth finished at keeping busy working at home.  Yesterday I spent hours working through my Speaking American dialect-training book.  Thanks to that book, I have mastered all the individual technical sound shifts necessary to speak convincingly as an American.  Now I'm working on intonation, which is very confusing to me, mostly just because I haven't paid much attention to it before.
We also spent a lot of yesterday hanging out with Nick and Bekah, and also trying to book our upcoming holiday to Minnesota.  Turns out we've picked the weekend some giant festival is on in Duluth and most of the state's accommodation is either a) crappy, b) expensive, c) far away from where we want to be, or d) booked out.
Today is our last quiet Saturday at home before lots of travel - to Austin, Minnesota (if we can ever get there) and Australia.  We'll be going to see a show tonight by a company I've heard a lot about - Landing Theatre - but never seen in action.  And tomorrow I'm taking Lucas on a surprise date.  Sh! Don't tell him what we're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment